We have just announced on the Official Google Blog that we will soon retire Google Reader (the actual date is July 1, 2013). We know Reader has a devoted following who will be very sad to see it go. We’re sad too.
Alan Greend, Google Reader Blog
Just started my daily routine of firing up my computer, and immediately open my email and favourite newsreader. Big was my surprise to see the announcement "Google Reader will not be available after July 1, 2013".
Sad? I am devistated, I use the reader on a daily basis to keep in touch with the news, job adverts, websites and blogs that interest me. Seriously Reader, you will be missed.
Of course there are alternatives, any decent browser or mail client has an RSS-reader built in, but I just grew very attached to this one.
How can I download my Reader data?
Guess we'll have to do that then :-( But not until June 30, I want to enjoy Reader to the very end!
- What program is your favourite RSS alternative?
- Powering Down Google Reader (Google Reader Blog)
- A second spring of cleaning (Google Blog)
- How can I download my Reader data? (Google Support)
- Google Reader And The Underpants Gnomes (Tim Worstall, Forbes)
- RIP Google Reader (Mashable)
- Google Closes The Book On Google Reader On July 1, Seven Other Products Also Get The Chop (TechCrunch)
- Google Reader’s Death Is Proof That RSS Always Suffered From Lack Of Consumer Appeal (TechCrunch)
- Google Reader to be shut down on July 1 (IBN Live)
- RSS-lezer Google Reader verdwijnt binnenkort (deredactie.be, Dutch only)