Thursday, March 14, 2013

Google Reader will retire on July 1, 2013

We have just announced on the Official Google Blog that we will soon retire Google Reader (the actual date is July 1, 2013). We know Reader has a devoted following who will be very sad to see it go. We’re sad too. 
Alan Greend, Google Reader Blog



Just started my daily routine of firing up my computer, and immediately open my email and favourite newsreader. Big was my surprise to see the announcement "Google Reader will not be available after July 1, 2013".

Sad? I am devistated, I use the reader on a daily basis to keep in touch with the news, job adverts, websites and blogs that interest me. Seriously Reader, you will be missed.

Of course there are alternatives, any decent browser or mail client has an RSS-reader built in, but I just grew very attached to this one.


How can I download my Reader data?

Google Reader will be retired on July 1, 2013. If you'd like to download a copy of all your Reader data before then, you can do so through Google Takeout. You'll receive your subscription data in an XML file, and the following information will be downloaded as JSON files:
  • List of people that you follow
  • List of people that follow you
  • Items you have starred
  • Items you have liked
  • Items you have shared
  • Items shared by people you follow
  • Notes you have created
  • Items with comments
Click here to start downloading your Reader data from Takeout. Once downloaded, your subscription data should be easily transferrable to another product, where you can continue to keep up with your online reading.

Guess we'll have to do that then :-( But not until June 30, I want to enjoy Reader to the very end!



Question:


More:
  • Powering Down Google Reader (Google Reader Blog)
  • A second spring of cleaning (Google Blog)
  • How can I download my Reader data? (Google Support)
  • Google Reader And The Underpants Gnomes (Tim Worstall, Forbes)
  • RIP Google Reader (Mashable)
  • Google Closes The Book On Google Reader On July 1, Seven Other Products Also Get The Chop (TechCrunch)
  • Google Reader’s Death Is Proof That RSS Always Suffered From Lack Of Consumer Appeal (TechCrunch)
  • Google Reader to be shut down on July 1 (IBN Live)
  • RSS-lezer Google Reader verdwijnt binnenkort (deredactie.be, Dutch only)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...