This morning in the papers: Dozens arrested in 8th day of 'Occupy Wall Street' (CNN). I would like to comment with a small excerpt of the final scene from Michael Moore's documentary 'Capitalism: A Love Story' (2009).
and the interview with Law Professor Elizabeth Warren
We live in the richest country in the world.
We all deserve a decent job, healthcare, a good education, a home to call our own.
We all deserve FDR's dream (referring to Franklin D. Roosevelt who proposed in 1944 to implement a Second Bill of Rights).
And it's a crime that we don't have it.
And we never will, as long as we have a system that enriches the few at the expense of the many.
Capitalism is an evil.
And you cannot regulate evil.
You have to eliminate it and replace it with something that is good for all people.
And that something is called... Democracy.
"Crimes have been committed in this building.
l am here to make a citizen's arrest.
Please come down and step away from the building.
Do not be afraid.
Federal prison is a nice place."
You know, l can't really do this anymore unless those of you who are watching this in the theater want to join me.
l hope you will.
And please, speed it up.
- Occupy Wall Street (official website)
- Wall Street Protest Begins, With Demonstrators Blocked (NY Times, 17th September)
- Dozens arrested in 8th day of 'Occupy Wall Street' protests (CNN, 25th September)
- Dozens Arrested At 'Occupy Wall Street' Protest (NPR, 25th September)
- Stop Coddling the Super-Rich (Warren Buffet)
- 6 Ways the Rich Are Waging a Class War Against the American People (AlterNet, 26th September)
- How to create panic: 'Anyone can make money from a crash' (BBC video, 27th September)
And of course Money from Pink Floyd:
Money, it's a gas
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
Money, it's a crime
Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie