Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Starry Starry Night

Orion, taken from Ethan

Starry, starry night.
Paint your palette blue and gray,
Look out on a summer's day,
With eyes that know the darkness in my soul.
Shadows on the hills,
Sketch the trees and the daffodils,
Catch the breeze and the winter chills,
In colors on the snowy linen land.

-- Don Mclean


I admit it, I don't know sh** about stars or constellations, but there is something about it that makes me want to lay down and just look up, trying to make sense of it all or just enjoy the light show, the beautiful painting in the sky.



This evening, we are having a beautiful open sky. After raining hard for the past days, the clouds had apparently no more business here. When I was walking outside on our premises, the beauty of it all purely overwhelmed me and I caught myself gazing upward, undoubtedly with an open mouth to catch mosquitoes and creating a future stiff neck.

Looking at the stars makes you feel a bit small, it also reminds me of 'home' or people far away from me. No matter where you are on this planet, in the night we can all look at the sky and find some familiar stars. No wonder that they got Godly names in the Ancient Days, they really are omnipresent.

A few years back, when I was still living at Sakasaka, I was once gazing upwards but without the privacy. My host-sister was quite amused to see me standing like that, "what are you looking at?". I tried to explain to her that I was looking at Ursa Major, I think she didn't see any beauty in it.

Still, bright stars in a clear, dark sky can still touch me and Orion was looking great tonight.

More:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...