"We have reached peak child. The number of children is not growing any longer in the world. We are still debating peak oil, but we have definitely reached peak child. And the world population will stop growing.
We will be just 10 billion in this world, if the poorest people get out of poverty, their children survive, they get access to family planning. That is needed. But it's inevitable that we will be two to three billion more. So when you discuss and when you plan for the resources and the energy needed for the future, for human beings on this planet, you have to plan for 10 billion.
So what does it take? Well we know quite well what is needed: You need to have a lower child mortality rate. You need to get out of the deepest poverty (so children are not of importance for work in the family). You need to have access to some family planning. And you need the women to get higher education and join the labor force.
-- Hans Rosling
More on Hans Rosling:
- Hans Rosling (TED speaker bio)
- GapMinder, for a fact-based world view (GapMinder.org)
- The best stats you've ever seen (TED, June 2006)
- New insights on poverty (TED, June 2007)
- New facts and stunning data visuals on HIV (TED, May 2009)
- Let my dataset change your mindset (TED, August 2009)
- Asia's rise -- how and when (TED, November 2009)
- On global population growth (TED, July 2010)
- The good news of the decade? (TED, October 2010)
- The magic washing machine (TED, March 2011)
- Religions and babies (TED, May 2012)